Re: [TURTLE] Turtle Inverse Properties

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:37:36 -0400
To: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
On 8/20/12 5:40 AM, Steve Harris wrote:
> On 2012-08-17, at 20:03, Gavin Carothers wrote:
>>> 4. Do nothing.
>> +1
>>
>> In Turtle there is a very important section 5 Conformance Note:
>>
>> "This specification does not define how Turtle parsers handle
>> non-conforming input documents."
>>
>> If this feature has wide spread need I fully expect some
>> implementations to implement it, the Turtle parser will still very
>> much be conforming. Exactly what media type or how that not exactly
>> Turtle document might be provided is unclear but that hasn't ever
>> stopped anyone ;)
> Yes, agreed.
>
> The fact that only Virtuoso supported the is  of syntax in Turtle (due to legacy from a N3 parser), and nobody supports ^ suggests to me that it's not ripe for standardisation this time round.
>
> If it's really that useful (I can imagine it is, but I don't write Turtle by hand very often) then people will implement it.
>
> - Steve

Steve,

Imagine a world in which folks write Turtle by hand. One in which they
come to realize creating webby document content using Turtle is
significantly simpler than pursuing the same goal using HTML let alone
HTML+Microdata or HTML+RDFa etc..

For years, I've been trying to find the ideal vehicle to introducing
Linked Data in its most basic form, this approach means the following
must hold true:

1. No HttpRange-14 distractions
2. No content negotiation or rewrite rules distractions
3. No requirement for Web Server access of Admin privileges.

Basically, making the ability to create a document and save it to a
folder the prime prerequisite for commencing Linked Data exploitation.

Thus far, of all the RDF document syntaxes that exist today, Turtle
remains the best vehicle for achieving the goals outlined above.

Conclusion:
Contrary to early misconceptions (one I was guilty of) folks are going
to write Turtle by hand because its the easiest syntax for Linked Data
comprehension and bootstrap, IMHO.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/LNIeLj -- Simple Linked Data Deployment via Turtle Docs
using various Storage Services (Dropbox, Amazon S3, Microsoft SkyDrive,
Google Drive, and Box.NET)

2. http://bit.ly/NYwGCd -- very basic Linked Data deployment template
for profile oriented documents

3. http://bit.ly/O4LNKf -- How To Create & Control Your Own Verifiable
Digital Identity, at Web-scale (simplifies understanding and
exploitation of the WebID authentication protocol) .

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO