Re: graham's comment re IRI

* David Wood <david@3roundstones.com> [2012-08-07 11:56-0400]
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Yes, we do owe a formal response and your message below covers the relevant points nicely.

I think a strong motivation for adopting IRIs is that SPARQL did without hearing a murmer from the RDF community. Given the bredth of adoption of SPARQL (and probably many of the implementation use the grammar verbatim from the spec), we probably have to look in dark corners for folks who are more than mildly inconveninced by removing spaces from RDF IRIs\b\bURL\b\bweb identifiers.

I note that the 2004 version of Turtle permitted spaces (and everything except '>') <http://www.dajobe.org/2004/01/turtle/2006-12-04/#uriref> but in case we're thinking that the ontology folks are in that dark corner, Protégé's Turtle parser barfs on spaces (though not the RDF/XML parser).

At any rate, I think the SPARQL argument is very persuasive; you can't match IRIs with embedded spaces into graph patterns or filters.

--
-ericP