Re: regrets and a new spin on contexts

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:52:34PM -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Thanks for the interesting examples. Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind.
> I am sure that this kind of thing will continue to happen, and it might be
> good to provide a mechanism to allow it to be organized using Web methods
> rather than kind of ignored or treated as Bad Practice. BTW, it happens off
> the Web, as well, in any reasonably large-scale (say, 4-5 man-years and up)
> ontology project. It happened all the time in Cyc, and adopting the context
> meachanism was crucial in overcoming the resulting problems.
>
> Regarding the terminology, I really have no axe to grind for "sematnic
> extension" other than it is already in the 2004 RDF specs, so it seemed like
> less of a reach to suggest making it explicoit under that name. I actually
> prefer the original "context" terminology. But if people prefer something
> else altogether, Im cool with whatever we call it.

It seems we are picturing the same thing.  But if so, then I have a problem
with calling the property "rdf:inherits" and, for the same reasons but less
strongly, with calling them "contexts".  To me, both terms (but especially
"inherits") evoke computer programming terminology in unhelpful ways.

What bothers me about "contexts" is that it could be taken to mean that the
meaning of an IRI depends on context.  I would not want the notion to be taken
as a license to violate the global context in a local context (think: global
variables and local variables).

Rather, what we're doing is acknowledging that people "see" or "interpret" IRIs
through particular lenses.  In terms of message, the act of "seeing" or
"interpreting" an object does not imply that the object that everyone sees is
actually being transformed.  Maybe something along the lines of "RDF
Interpretations" or "RDF Lenses"?

Then if the range of rdf:inherits does indeed include things like 100 pages of
plain-text explanation, we should avoid implying that these interpretations are
by definition importable and applicable in some sort of automatic,
machine-processable way.  The name should leave no doubt that this is a
documentation property.  Maybe something along the lines of or
"rdf:interpretedUsing" or "rdf:lens"?

Tom

Tom Baker <tom@tombaker.org>