Re: Comment on the Dataset proposal (syntax)

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 18:04:27 +0100
Cc: Antoine Zimmermann <antoine.zimmermann@emse.fr>, RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
On 26 Apr 2012, at 17:13, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> SUGGESTION:
>> "G is called the default graph. The pairs (<ui>, Gi) are named graphs."
>
> I have to say (again) that I'm not okay with calling something a "named
> graph", especially formally, when it isn't named and isn't a graph (or
> RDF Graph).

But they *are* named (except formally), and they *are* graphs (except formally).

People have called them “named graphs” for years. It's on Wikipedia, it's in hundreds of books, in thousands of articles, and tens of thousands of web pages. The genie might already be out of the bottle. We serve the community well by standardizing established practice.

> I don't think wordsmithing this section will productive until/unless we
> have a shared understand of what we actually want to say, though.

+1