Re: Graphs Design 6.2

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 19:36:56 +0100
Cc: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, public-rdf-wg <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
On 25 Apr 2012, at 14:28, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> Hm. I am not sure I understand this restriction. It forces the user to come up with a URI or a blank node for no good reason. Why is it a problem to say that if I say:
>>

>> @union .
>> { a b c }
>> d { e f g }
>> h { i j k }
>>
>> then the default graph is
>>
>> { a b c .
>>  e f g .
>>  i j k .
>> }
>>
>> What is wrong with that? It is only a shorthand...
>
> Yeah, I suppose it's probably okay.    I was thinking of union datasets
> as a somewhat different kind of dataset.
>
> If you loaded that into 4store, it would have to make up a graph name,
> but maybe that's fine.

It has to anyway, it's a quad store*.

But in any case, the idea of @union is antithetical to the way these systems are used, see my other mail on the subject.

- Steve

* In 4store the default graph is called <default:> but other systems use other URIs - it's generally hidden from the users anyway.

--
Steve Harris, CTO
Garlik, a part of Experian