Re: Union or not union for the default graph...

On 12/04/12 14:19, Ivan Herman wrote:

>> I confess I don't see the need for this in the semantics.
>>
>> Whether the default graph is treated as the union of the named
>> graphs is a decision made by the application (see William's point),
>> in which case the default graph is just some graph it has (locally)
>> created.  It will do that based on whether it thinks the incoming
>> data is trustworthy and appropriate to the task.
>>
>> It might be useful to (non-normatively) discussion default union
>> graphs but it is just a union graph like any other.
>>
>> It might be useful to be able to have syntax to say "for this TriG
>> file make the default graph the union of named graph" but that is a
>> syntactic shortcut to avoid having to repeat the data, no semantics
>> implications.
>>

> What seems to be the case is that (a) there are use cases where the
> union semantics is needed

Hmm - I see use cases which can be addressed by the application deciding
to use the default union graph.  I'm not sure that I see any where it is
needed as part of the semweb web-wide architecture, i.e. the publishing
entity making the declaration and expecting it to be the only way it's used.

> and (b) this may not be the only semantics,

:-) so many to choose from

> so there is a need for a switch. Now we can put that switch in the
> TriG file via some syntax (which is what you seem to propose)or an
> out-of-band switch that is used to control the implementation; that
> what I was proposing. I would not _really_ care as long as the choice
> is clear (and defining the semantics is a way of making it really
> clear) and there is a way to make the choice, although Steve's recent
> mail seems to indicate that for his system at least the 'out-of-band'
> approach may be more appropriate.
>
> Cheers
>
> I.

	Andy