Re: New Proposal (6.1) for GRAPHS

On 04/04/12 13:34, Sandro Hawke wrote:

>>> My intuition is that there are important thing you can't do if you allow
>>> more than one graph to be associated with the named object, but I
>>> haven't really explored that because SPARQL datasets clearly allow only
>>> one GRAPH for a given name, so I figured we'd stick with that.  That's
>>> why I said hasGraph was a functional property.
>>
>> A query executes at some (idealized) point in time, and a query closes
>> the world to execute (or they'd never complete!).   An RDF Dataset is
>> the local concept for the data being queried - there's no statement
>> about anything outside the local context made, or needed for SPARQL.
>
> I know all that, but I can't figure out what that has to do with whether
> hasGraph is a functional property.

It's whether the graph is partial or complete-and-closed.  Lee's example
bring that out; it's also in the earlier "what a TriG doc merge?"

Doc 1:

Doc 2:

-> merge ->

You say rdf:hasGraph is functional -- what is the scope of that?

Is it the TriG doc or is it the web?

>               * Zero or more named graphs. Each named graph is a pair
>                 consisting of an IRI (the graph name), and an RDF graph.
>                 Graph names are unique within an RDF dataset.

> Since "Graph names are unique within an RDF dataset", R is a function
> (or, in OWL speak: R is functional).

All SPARQL says is graph names are unique within an RDF dataset, not on
the web.  Functional in the mapping name -> graph in the dataset.

It makes no statement outside the dataset.

But a functional OWL property is functional not just in the  graph in
which it's used.

G1
G2

merge