Re: New Proposal (6.1) for GRAPHS

On Apr 4, 2012, at 07:09 , Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> Hi Sandro,
>
> I'm not saying it should be the latter rather than the former, just that it's not obvious.
> See below for more on that.

So let me give my typical W3C answer, ie, trying to find a compromise:-)

More seriously. The structure offered by Sandro relies on the fact that the

syntax gets its more precise meaning through a possible

<u> rdf:type rdf:SOMECLASSHERE .

Sandro offered two such classes; isn't possible to have three, one that makes the graph THE graph, the other that makes it PART OF the graph?

We can of course have long discussions on which the default is. But that is a lighter discussion I believe.

Ivan

> [...]
> > SPARQL end point, that they've seen all the triples in the graph with
> > that name/label.
> >
> > As a social test case, we could tell people this SPARQL query is run:
> >
> >     SELECT ?s ?p ?o
> >     WHERE GRAPH <http://g1.example.org> { ?s ?p ?o }.
> >
> > and that we got three result bindings back:
> >
> >     ?s  ?p  ?o
> >     === === ===
> >     <a> <b> 1.
> >     <a> <b> 2.
> >     <a> <b> 3.
> >
> > Then we ask them: "According to this query, how many triples are in the
> > graph known to that endpoint as 'http://g1.example.org' ?"
> >
> > What do you think they'll say?
> >
> > I think most folks will say, "Three", even if you ask them to think
> > again and be pedantically precise.
> >

> I agree that's what they would say but primarily because you said: "in the graph known to that endpoint"
> This is a critical element which isn't apparent in a mere statement like:

> Which doesn't say anything about where it comes from and whether it's complete or not.

> --
> Arnaud  Le Hors - Software Standards Architect - IBM Software Group
>

> > I think that means they're using the complete-graph semantics I'm
> > suggesting.  If they were using partial-graph semantics, they'd have to
> > say, "Three or more".
> >
> > You see what I'm saying?   When we have a complete protocol interaction,
> > via SPARQL, or transmitting a trig or n-quad files, I think the usual
> > assumption is that *all* the triples in the named graph are being sent,
> > not just some of them.
> >
> > I understand sometimes it would be nice to store/transmit just part of
> > some named graph.   But, as I discussed in a message a couple of minutes
> > ago, I think we have to pick one or the other, and I think the
> > complete-graph approach is better.  It's pretty easy to convey partial
> > graphs if we define the complete approach.
> >
> > (I suppose if we defined the partial-graph approach we could transmit
> > complete graphs by transmitting partial graphs and including a
> > triple-count as metadata, so you know it's complete.   I guess that
> > would work, but it seems to me to be optimizing for the much-less-common
> > case.)
> >
> > Coming back to:
> >
> > > I had previously thought that RDF was a data model that didn't need
> > any
> > > notion of 'document' to work.
> >
> > Yeah, it depends what you're doing with it.   There's a lot you can do
> > with RDF without paying any attention to what documents particular bits
> > of RDF were found in, but I think most of the Graphs use cases involve
> > situations where you do need to pay attention to these document
> > boundaries.
> >
> > > Thanks for your willingness to understand my points --- I'm sure that my
> > > formal language will improve over time.
> >
> > It's a long process.   :-)    Interesting, it seems to be helped by

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153