Re: New Proposal (6.1) for GRAPHS

On Apr 2, 2012, at 17:52 , Sandro Hawke wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 17:19 +0200, Ivan Herman wrote:
[skip]

>> As for implementations: today, an implementation probably has the notion of a triple, which may have s,p,o, which can be of class... well, you know that. Those classes, including all the code that rely on those classes, will have to be extended to allow for a 4th type of thing, otherwise they may throw exceptions, go wrong, blow up, etc. I am not sure I can foresee all the consequences.
>>
>> (I know a bit RDFLib from inside. It does have the notion of a Graph, of course, which can even have an associated label. But all the code that, say, retrieves triples from a graph store rely on the fact that any resource has to be Literal, URIRef, or BNode, to use the RDFLib terminology. Those methods are not necessarily prepared for the possibility of having a Graph at places.)
>
> No, in this plan, normal RDF is unchanged.   Just because the object of
> a triple can *semantically* refer to an RDF Graph does not mean the RDF
> Abstract Syntax has to be extended to help it do so.   The object of a
> triple can *semantically* refer to a person, but there's no special node
> type in the RDF Abstract Syntax to support that -- people have to be
> identified by URIRef and/or BNodes.   RDF Graphs, as I imagine it, are
> like that, too.   In Plain-Old-RDF (as found in RDF/XML, Turtle, the
> default graph of a TriG document, or any of the named graphs in a TriG
> document) the Graphs are referred by URIRefs or BNodes.

So we open up the can of worm of of HTTPRange-14?

<a> <b> <http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf#me> .

uses (to use the HTTPRange-14 terminology) a URI to refer to a non-informational resource referring to me (I may not use the right words here). In terms of RDF, <http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf#me> is 'just' a URI, nothing special.

In

what is the equivalent of <http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf#me> ? Do we have some sort of an ad-hoc URI to refer to the non-informational resource that is the graph?

And... I still fail to understand what it buys us to use a predicate for what we want to achieve for named graphs here? Why do we want to push this particular thing into the RDF Concept/Semantics?

Ivan

P.S. *Personally* the way I would describe that stuff above is to use graph literals. That is, for me, a clean way of doing that: the datatype definition in RDF gives me quite some leeway to define the value space, so it could be the set of RDF graphs as a mathematical notion. That is clean, conceptually and we would have no problem. But we saw quite some pushbacks, based on implementations, on going down that particular road, so that is not a possibility.

----