Re: example of options 3 & 4 simplifying code (ACTION-86)

On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 16:40 +0200, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Sandro,
>
> The built-in i18n support in RDF is a selling point that sets it apart from just about anything else on the data storage market. I'm not in favour of removing that advantage.

I'm suggesting removing it from RDF and putting it in the same place as
the understanding that "1"^^xs:int and "1"xs:integer are the same thing.
I think both kinds of processing should be part of the standard datatype
library that pretty much everyone uses, since RDF is pretty awkward to
use without them.

> Also:
>
> On 9 Sep 2011, at 17:19, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> > I don't think language tag reasoning should be mandatory
>
> I think you meant to say “language tag case folding”. It has nothing to do with “reasoning”, in any sense of that word.

I called it that because recognizing that "1"^^xs:int and
"1"^^xs:integer are the same thing is call "reasoning", and I think
there is a strong analogy.

Also, I'm not sure case folding is that useful; in any case where you
want case folding for language tags, I suspect you should really be
using language tag matching, which comes somewhat closer to deserving
the term "reasoning".     But I'll stick to calling it "processing" in
the future.

  -- Sandro