Re: my vote on the varieties of datatyped tagged literals

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 10:06 +0200, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Sandro,
>
> On 7 Sep 2011, at 16:40, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> > Option 2 might be worse than Option 1; to put it simply, it seems to be
> > making tagged literals be datatyped literals by making up a new,
> > different, *non-XML-standard* sort of datatyped literal.
>
> This is not true for 2c.
>
> It is compatible with the XSD notion of datatypes. That was the whole point.

I'm giving you my skeptical look.  |-)  A datatype with an empty lexical
space?   I see some discussion in XSD 1.1 about "ineffable" values,
points in value spaces which have no lexical representation, but it
seems like quite a stretch to define an XML Schema Datatype with a full,
useful value space and an empty lexical space.

In terms of code: with this design, we need a different API for language
tagged strings than for other data values, right?   We can't use .lexrep
to get the lexical representation, since there is none.  For my example
code snippets, your option 2c (which Ivan has labeled 2d) still looks
just like option 1, I think.

   - Sandro