Re: What is really a graph container? Re: more about dereference (notes from MIT post F2F2-day-1)

Ok, here is another idea:

we keep "graph container" as a rather vague notion, just to point out
that many thing that one is tempted to call a "graph" are actually
something else. Then we illustrate that notion with two particular kinds
of graph containers, more precisely defined:

  a *graph slot* is a mutable object whose state is (a representation
  of) an RDF graph. In other words, it provides a function from time to
  RDF graphs.
    (e.g. an .ttl file, an instance of jena.rdf.model.Model)

  a *graph web resource* is a web resource whose representations are
  graph serializations (fka g-texts)
    (e.g. my FOAF profile, facebook RDF exports)

The definitions overlap: my FOAF profile is managed as a file, and only
varies with time, so it is both a graph slot and a graph web resource.

They are not identical, because some graph web resources can return
different graphs at the same time, depending on other factors
(authentication, language negotiation?,...).

  pa

PS: I'm not completely convinced by "graph slot" as a term, but it seems
to me that it holds the idea that it contains only a *single* graph at a
given time. In addition, it is already used by the DAWG, in a way that
seems compatible with this notion.