RE: Unicode NFC - status, and RDF Concepts

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 15:47:53 +0000
Cc: "David Wood , Jeremy Carroll , John Cowan , www-international@w3.org , RDF Working Group WG" <david@3roundstones.com>
To: "Martin J. Dürst , Eric Prud'hommeaux" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>

Martin replied:

> I suddenly see NFKC here, where before the discussion was about NFC, without
> any motivation. In many cases, going the additional step to NFKC is not a bad
> idea.

I wouldn't say "many cases". Compatibility decomposition (what the "K" stands for) can significantly affect the form and change the semantics of the characters affected. It should be used sparingly, since it is a destructive normalization form. I think this is what Martin was trying to convey with the rest of his response.

Addison