Re: <sandro> PatHayes, can you formally define g-box for us?

On Oct 13, 2011, at 6:27 AM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> On 13 Oct 2011, at 05:31, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> REST defines a resource as a function from times to representations.
>
> Well, no, REST defines a resource as a a time-varying function from requests to representations.

You are right, my bad.

>> So, a g-box is a resource whose representations are (a recognized interchange syntactic form of) g-snaps, ie RDF graphs.
>
> That works.
>
>> IRI----HTTP/"identifies" ---- g-box
>> IRI----denotes/names-----g-snap
>
> That seems wrong. “Identifies” and “denotes” are distinct mechanisms, but it has always been the goal to align them wherever possible.

It has? Says who? I have been asking for a clear statement of this for years and havnt seen it yet.

> The phrasing above seems to explicitly require that they are different – a URI “identifies” one thing but “denotes” another. That's bad.

It had better not be bad, because its more often the case than not. Most things in the universe (that can be denoted) cannot be "identified" in this sense. All the same, we use IRIs to refer to them (cf Dbpedia).

Pat