Re: Time-varying g-boxes : a dataset pattern

On 11/10/11 17:18, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 10:57 -0400, David Wood wrote:
>> Sorry, I must be missing something substantial.  Why would you want to record dataset changes upon access instead of only on g-box modification?
>
> I think it's kind of brilliant.   Really, I think, you'd want to record
> changes on each access if the data was changed since the previous record
> of change.  That way if the data changes frequently but is accessed
> infrequently, or if it changes infrequently but is accessed frequently
> -- either way -- you only need to record changes (relatively)
> infrequently.
>
>      -- Sandro
>
>> Regards,
>> Dave

The g-box is somewhere else across the web - not under the control of
the watching application.  All the application can do is look every so
often with HTTP.

There are ways to give the illusion of push changes, or even real push,
but it requires the publisher to provide something extra.

 Andy