Re: Unicode NFC - status, and RDF Concepts

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:54:51 +0000
Cc: "Martin J. Dürst , Jeremy Carroll , www-international@w3.org , RDF Working Group WG" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
Phillips, Addison scripsit:

> The main thrust of the I18N WG's current consensus is that identifiers
> must be compared as if normalized in one of the Unicode canonical
> normalization forms (i.e. NFC or NFD, not NFKC or NFKD).

I don't understand what "as if normalized" means.  Does that mean that
an identifier comparison routine can assume its inputs are normalized,
or that it must normalize them (non-destructively) before comparing?
The implementation implications couldn't be more different.

> In my opinion, RDF literals fit the definition of "identifiers".

I can't imagine why you think so.  RDF literals are strings (except
when they are typed as numbers, dates, etc.)

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the