Re: Web Semantics for Datasets

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 06:27 -0400, Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider
wrote:
> From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
> Subject: Re: Web Semantics for Datasets
> Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 04:53:52 -0500
>
> [...]
>
> > I suspect a bigger problem is the amount of personalised,
> > cookie-mediated or session-based content out there,
>
> This is, I think, one of the problems with proposals that push a "state
> of the web" aspect into the RDF Semantics.

Yes, many URLs behave like this, but my intention was to write the
proposal such that these URLs simply cannot be used as the fourth column
of true datasets:

        Consider a "graph naming" to be the association of a
        graph name N with a graph G.  For the graph naming to hold,
        every
        successful dereference of N yielding an RDF graph must yield G.

I think follows that a graph naming cannot hold if N is one of these
cookie-based URLs.

There is some danger that if you use someone else's URLs in the fourth
column in your dataset, you'll be unknowingly wrong, as they used
cookies but you didn't know about it.  But I think any time you use
someone else's URLs like this, there is some exposure.   In some cases
it can be handled by not caring if you're wrong, I guess.

   -- Sandro