Re: why I don't like named graph IRIs in the DATASET proposal

On 10/04/2011 11:30 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> On 4 Oct 2011, at 21:48, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>>> RDF Semantics currently doesn't have the power to fix the
>>> denotation of *anything* (except the RDF(S) built-ins),
>>
>> and all literal values...
>
> Ok, you got me there ;-)
>
>>> and *always* defers to convention for establishing the connection
>>> between IRIs and things. RDF works nevertheless. Why should it be
>>> any different for graphs?
>>
>> Well, if graphs in a dataset are g-snap, then they look very much
>> like literals to me, and I would tend to read
>>
>> <some-uri> { :a :b :c }
>>
>> as something like
>>
>> <some-uri> owl:equals " :a :b :c . "^^rdf:turtle
>
> I disagree. The latter amounts to an assertion that <some-uri>
> denotes an RDF graph. The former doesn't assert anything (or
> shouldn't, in my view). It's just a graph associated with a URI.

I just wrote that this is how "I tend to read" a dataset. It is now
clear that we don't have the same reading.

>> Now, if graphs are g-boxes, I would rather read
>>
>> <some-uri> { :a :b :c }
>>
>> as something like
>>
>> <some-uri> rdf:hasCurrentGSnap [ log:implies " :a :b :c .
>> "^^rdf:turtle ]
>>
>> where rdf:hasCurrentGSnap would have rdf:GBox as its domain, so I
>> can *at least* infer that <some-uri> denotes *some* g-box.
>
> I do not like the idea of inferring anything from the graph names in
> RDF datasets. That way madness lies.

forget inference, I meant rdf:hasSubgraph rather than log:implies.

I was maintly trying not to mix this debate the the 'complete graph' one :)

  pa