Re: why I don't like named graph IRIs in the DATASET proposal

On Sep 30, 2011, at 7:49 AM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:

> Richard,
>
> On 09/30/2011 12:02 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>> On 29 Sep 2011, at 17:31, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>>> SPARQL states that:
>>
>> Well that's SPARQL. We are talking about RDF Concepts. It says [1]:
>>
>> [[
>> Each named graph is a pair consisting of an IRI (the graph name), and an RDF graph. Graph names are unique within an RDF dataset.
>> ]]
>
> sorry, I didn't notice that you rephrased it.

I (strongly) suggest that we avoid the use of the word "name" in this at all, as naming/reference/denotation are widely treated as synonyms, and I believe this usage is intended in the SPARQL documents also. How about "graph label"? Replace name//label and named//labelled in the above, and then clarify as follows:

Note: the use of an IRI as a graph label in an RDF dataset does not imply that the IRI names,  identifies or denotes the graph in question. A graph label IRI may be used in an RDF triple to refer to something other than the graph. This can be true even for triples in graphs in the RDF dataset.

Pat