Re: why I don't like named graph IRIs in the DATASET proposal

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 13:18:41 +0100
Cc: Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr>, "public-rdf-wg@w3.org" <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
On 1 Oct 2011, at 22:59, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>        So let's say we we have a concept of a semantic web home page
>        for a person. We decide on the policy that if someone's home
>        page says that they are a vegetarian, then we believe that they
>        are a vegetarian.

> It's not immediately obvious to me how to do this kind of stuff with
> named graphs

Named graphs were invented for exactly this kind of stuff.

See for example the WIQA Policy Framework, which allows writing down this kind of trust policy in a SPARQL-like syntax:
http://richard.cyganiak.de/2008/papers/wiqa-jws2009.pdf

TriG was developed in the context of this work.

> Perhaps we can show it with SPARQL?  Query for all the people whose home pages say they are
> vegetarians?

I think Eric addressed this nicely.