Add-on to the XML Literal discussion

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:36:27 +0100
To: W3C RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
This is mostly a FYI. There is currently a discussion on the HTML Data Task force (looking at schema.org, microdata, RDFa, that sort of things) where the necessity of having some feature to store structured (HTML) data came up. See, for example, Jeni's mail:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-data-tf/2011Nov/0162.html

referring to

http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML_Data_Improvements#Structured_Values

The bottom line is that there seem to be a need to store structured content in an (RDF) output, too.

In some sense, however, this may just muddle the waters here, because we are talking about HTML(5) structured data, which is SGML but not XML. In other words, the current XML Literal would not cover that use case properly.

(Well... there is a caveat to that. Current HTML5 parsers accept non-XML data but, afaik, they create a DOM tree. Taking the serialized output of a subtree in that DOM tree would produce an XML Literal after all, which is not textually identical to the original text, but is identical in the, say, infoset sense. Such mechanism is highly relevant to HTML5+RDFa or to a microdata->RDF conversion result. But that may mean that XML Literals may be o.k. after all.)

We certainly have a use case here which is definitely not related to RDF/XML. (Ie, I would propose to forget about the RDF/XML motivation in this discussion. It is not the relevant factor in my view.)

Ivan

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153