Re: Aligning Turtle and SPARQL escape sequence processing.

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:56:26 +0000
Cc: RDF-WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
On 22 Nov 2011, at 15:56, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> 1/ character escapes -- \t, \n \r \b \f \" \' \\
> 2/ unicode escapes :  \u1234 and \U12345678

> Suggested changes for Turtle:
>
> T1/ Allow unicode escapes in prefixed names.

-1, I think. I don't see the use case. Allowing them in the xxx part of an xxx:yyy prefixed name strikes me as silly. Allowing them in the yyy part is weird given that all sorts of punctuation is disallowed there anyways and one can always use a <full_IRI> if one wants to use unicode escapes. Most languages don't allow escapes in identifiers, see XML or Java.

Same argument applies to SPARQL.

Seriously, what's the use case?

> T2/ Only allow character escapes in strings, not IRIs (or prefix names but they aren't allowed in them at the moment).

+1

> T3/ Add \f and \b character escapes.

+1

> T4/ Remove \> (side effect of T2).