Re: Turtle in HTML question/issue

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 14:51:31 +0000
Cc: Gavin Carothers <gavin@carothers.name>, "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, W3C RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
On 2011-11-16, at 08:11, Ivan Herman wrote:
> Sigh. You do have good arguments, although at present it is a pain to repeat all the prefix declarations. Ie, there would be no really smooth ways of using both turtle and RDFa in the same page, although I do see very legitimate usage for this (that is why I like it!). It has happened several times to me that the RDF I wanted to generate from an HTML file included a bunch of statements that are really not for display (this does happen with more complex vocabularies) and the current trick is to use a <div style="display:none> for this, and then encode things in a series of <span> which then resembles RDF/XML:-). Adding turtle in HTML is a very elegant way of solving this issue...
>
> Ie: I am torn!

That solution is fine for you, as you know both RDFa and Turtle, but expecting/suggesting/making it easy for people to use two different RDF syntaxes *in the same document* seems crazy to me.

It's hard enough to explain RDF the multitude of syntaxes as it is, without suggesting that people use two at once.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK