Re: Turtle in HTML question/issue

On Nov 15, 2011, at 22:41 , Gavin Carothers wrote:
[snip]

> Please note the change in email address gavin@topquadrant.com is no
> longer a working group member, gavin@carothers.name is ;)
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 15 Nov 2011, at 19:36, Gavin Carothers <gavin@topquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> There is a need for specific language. But I'm not sure that
>>> supporting using the HTML base the best way to go. The UA would need
>>> to support <base> @xml:base and the base URI DOM API in order to be
>>> compliant with the HTML5 notion of base. And exactly how that
>>> interacts with @base would also need to be defined. This would also do
>>> some odd things to copy and paste safety.

>>> Allowing the use of RDFa prefix declarations which can come from
>>> xmlns, prefix attributes, and vocab attributes would in my mind
>>> needlessly complicate the consumption and authoring of Turtle <script>
>>> fragments. Again it would greatly reduce copy and paste safety.
>>>

>> First of all, I would consider only xmlns and prefix or, possibly, prefix only. Not vocab, that does not define a prefix.
>
> Okay time to go deeper into this issue. The prefixes defined in RDFa
> are not the same as the prefixes defined in Turtle. RDFa prefixe
> resolution uses CURIES and in Turtle PNames. The syntax is not
> identical. Clearest case of that is in the Facebook Open graph
> vocabularies which use :'s in the local part of the name which is not
> allowed in Turtle. I'm not totally opposed to aligning Turtle with
> RDFa, but others were as it breaks alignment with SPARQL which isn't a
> great idea.
>

>> I understand the issue of copy paste. On the other hand, if I author an RDFa file, where I define a load of prefixes, and then I have to repeat the whole thing again is also error prone and certainly a paini the neck. Ie, I am not convinced the balance is again the reusage of prefixes. The same holds for base, referring to the previous issue...
>
> One thing this does to Turtle is create the notion of an initial
> prefix map that may exist before parsing starts. This is a reasonably
> large change to Turtle. A <script> Turtle document may not be a valid
> Turtle document without the HTML it's in, not thrilled by that idea.
> This might be simpler to solve with tooling that just reads an HTML
> document and outputs the correct @prefix lines.

Sigh. You do have good arguments, although at present it is a pain to repeat all the prefix declarations. Ie, there would be no really smooth ways of using both turtle and RDFa in the same page, although I do see very legitimate usage for this (that is why I like it!). It has happened several times to me that the RDF I wanted to generate from an HTML file included a bunch of statements that are really not for display (this does happen with more complex vocabularies) and the current trick is to use a <div style="display:none> for this, and then encode things in a series of <span> which then resembles RDF/XML:-). Adding turtle in HTML is a very elegant way of solving this issue...

Ie: I am torn!

Ivan

----