Re: A new introduction section for RDF Concepts

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:01:42 +0100
Cc: RDF Working Group WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Richard,

I have not made a thorough comparison, just read the Wiki page. I like the direction and I agree to make that part shorter and more palatable to outsiders.

I wonder whether, at the end, we should not add some words about the updated version of the g-* terminology. My goal is to make an even more crisp differentiation between the model and the serialization; we all know that conflating these terms for the general public has done a huge harm. Ie, hammering this difference may be useful...

Ivan

On Nov 11, 2011, at 20:22 , Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> The 2004 RDF Concepts spec starts with six pages of informative front matter, followed by six pages of normative text.
>
> From a 2011 point of view, the informative first part is not very good. I'd like to replace all of it with new text that is:
>
> * significantly shorter
> * more relevant to understanding RDF
> * a better reflection of 2011 understanding
> * introduces more useful terms not mentioned in the 2004 version
>  (resource, vocabulary, concrete syntax, )
> * less redundant with the later normative sections
>
> I've drafted new text (using bits of the old text where possible). It's ~2 pages.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/User:Rcygania2/RDF_Concepts_Introduction
>
> I'd appreciate comments on the draft, and please speak up if you have fundamental concerns about this step.
>
> Best,
> Richard
>

> (Housekeeping: ISSUE-68)

----