Re: URI aliases for RDF terms?

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 07:08:09 +0100
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>, Ian Davis <ian.davis@talis.com>, W3C RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>

> Every evolution path I see from this leads to either fragmentation or unrealistic implementation demands. The options I see are:
>  a. do nothing.
>  b. gradual introduction of redundant short terms, followed by gradual redaction of longer names. -- good bye cardinality

I am not sure what you mean by good bye cardinality.

>  c. international change-over day. -- all the air traffic control and clinical support systems relying on RDF will crash that day.
>  d. stake out short syntactic forms for use in turtle in SPARQL but leave the denotations the same.

B.t.w., though shortcuts like "a" obviously help, that is not a solution either imho. It would make turtle easier to use, that is true, although I am not sure we can have a shortcut for all the RDF and RDFS terms (except to accept the unqualified name as keyword, which would of course be a solution), but turtle is not the only syntax around...

Ivan