Re: Lang tags are not datatypes

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:05:43 +0100
Cc: RDF Working Group WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>
Jeremy,

On 28 May 2011, at 02:05, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> By keeping language tagged literals separate from datatypes, we make it clear that very different processing is needed, and very different considerations should be applied.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

In current RDF, two language-tagged strings are different unless they share exactly the same lexical form and exactly the same (normalized to lowercase) language tag.

The langtag-as-datatype proposal does not change anything about that. It simply uses another mechanism -- a set of special L2V maps -- to achieve the mapping between surface syntax and value.

What you are saying seems to be that the handling of language-tagged strings in RDF 2004 is broken. This may well be, but I think if we can produce something equally broken, then that has to be good enough.