Re: RDF-ISSUE-63 (html5-datatype): Introduce an HTML5 datatype [RDF General]

On May 26, 2011, at 07:57, RDF Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> RDF-ISSUE-63 (html5-datatype): Introduce an HTML5 datatype [RDF General]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/63
>
> Raised by: Richard Cyganiak
> On product: RDF General
>
> The 2004 WG worked under the assumption that the future of HTML was XHTML. The use case of shipping markup fragments as RDF payloads would be addressed by rdf:XMLLiteral.
>
> In 2011, shipping HTML5 fragments should be considered a relevant use case. Is rdf:XMLLiteral still adequate for this task? Is a new datatype with HTML5 fragments lexical space needed?

rdf:XMLLiteral should work for HTML 5's XML serialization (any HTML5 document that is served with an XML Content-Type, IIRC), but not for non-XML versions of HTML5.

I don't think that polyglot HTML5 [1] will help here, because dropping an rdf:XMLLiteral into a generic HTML5 doc may not be valid, depending on the state of the rest of the document.

So, yes, it would seem we need to define another way to pass fragments into non-XML serializations of HTML5.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/#polyglot-documents