Re: subtypes of xsd:string

Hi all,

I'm still noodling about the language tags on literals.  Earlier today I proposed on IRC that language tagged strings could be a subtype of xsd:string, but we didn't get a chance to address it.

It seems to me that RDF literals, literals with language tags and xsd:strings have always been messy.  If all three became xsd:strings of one form or another, that would clarify the situation nicely.  The problem would appear to be the amount of work involved in making such a deep change.

The proposal would be to:

- remove plain literals from the abstract syntax, as Richard suggested; all plain literals would parse as xsd:strings.

  "foo" -> "foo"^^xsd:string

- xsd:strings themselves would remain untouched.

- add a subtype of xsd:string for language tagged strings;

  "foo"@en -> "foo"^^xsd:LanguageTaggedString@en or some such.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Dave