Re: Action-48 text: a New Plan for plain literals

On May 23, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 23/05/11 04:01, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> The proposal outlined in the wiki here
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/StringLiterals/LanguageTaggedLiteralDatatypeProposal
>>
>> completes Richard and my action item 48 from the last telecon.
>>
>> Pat
>
> -0
>
> I'm not sure this provides sufficient benefit - tagged literals exist and applications have to (and want to) deal with them.

True, but I don't quite see your point.

> It does mean you can write "rdfs:range rdf:LanguageTaggedString" ; it's hard to say "rdfs:range <a string, which might be tagged>" (I suppose rdf:PlainLiteral would capture that

Yes, exactly, that is the intention. rdf:PlainLIteral is any plain literal, which means now xsd:string literals and lang tagged literals; and rdf:LTL is just the lang tagged literals. And just the untagged ones is xsd:string, of course. rdf:PlainLIteral is the (disjoint) union of xsd:string and rdf:LTL.

> ).
>
> So taking Ivan's FOAF file:
>
> <foaf:name xml:lang="hu">Herman Iván</foaf:name>
> <foaf:name>Ivan Herman</foaf:name>
>
> It does have a cost which is the deployed code that assumes literals have a language tag or a datatype.

Well, that has to now be understood as either a lang tag or a datatype **other than rdf:LanguageTaggedLiteral**. As nobody has previously written code that mentioned  this datatype, I don't think this is likely to cause any serious problems. And notice, the proposal keeps the present written form of all RDF string literals in all RDF surface syntaxes.

Pat