Re: Action-48 text: a New Plan for plain literals

Good. I tried to stretch this proposal in every direction to see if it's
causing troubles to other specs but I couldn't. Pretty well formulated.

I have a remark though: by imposing that all concrete syntaxes have
syntactic sugar for xs:string-typed literals, we make xs:string a
special datatype which becomes an integral part of RDF. This was not the
case before. In RDF 2004, XSDs were merely mentioned as a possible
example of datatype map, nothing more. "foo"^^xs:string had no specific
meaning under the RDF-semantics, nor under the RDFS-semantics nor even
under the D-semantics when D does not map xs:string to the corresponding
XML Schema datatype.

I am happy that xs:string be tightly integrated in RDF. However, I think
we could go one step further by making XSDs---at least the ones
mentioned in Sect.5.1 of RDF Semantics---an integral part of RDF.  This
means that there should be an entailment regime that includes the XSD
semantics at a "low level" (maybe at the level of RDF-entailment),
rather than as an extension of RDFS-entailment.  This would also mean
that XSDs should be presented in RDF Concept, rather than loosely
referenced.

In the current spec, there is no restrictions on datatype maps, such
that one can define a D-entailment where the URI "xs:string" is mapped
to numbers or dates or whatever. Considering the importance of XSDs, we
could impose a stricter relationship between the xsd: URIs and the XML
Schema datatypes.

Regards,
AZ

Le 23/05/2011 05:01, Pat Hayes a écrit :
> The proposal outlined in the wiki here
>
> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/StringLiterals/LanguageTaggedLiteralDatatypeProposal
>
> completes Richard and my action item 48 from the last telecon.
>
> Pat

> IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973

Antoine Zimmermann
Researcher at:
Laboratoire d'InfoRmatique en Image et Systèmes d'information
Database Group
7 Avenue Jean Capelle
69621 Villeurbanne Cedex
France
Tel: +33(0)4 72 43 61 74 - Fax: +33(0)4 72 43 87 13
Lecturer at:
Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon
20 Avenue Albert Einstein
69621 Villeurbanne Cedex
France
antoine.zimmermann@insa-lyon.fr