Re: Proposal for ISSUE-12, string literals

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:54:58 +0100
Cc: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
On 14 May 2011, at 16:44, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>  <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example/x" xml:lang="en" >
>    <q rdf:datatype="&xsd;string">foo</q>
>  </rdf:Description>
>
> that is, with the xml:lang not on the literal but further out in the XML because xml:lang propagates inwards.
>
> What happens to the xsd:string? Either existing RDf changes or RDF/XML can't write langs on xsd:string?

Currently, the datatyped "foo" would of course not receive a language tag, and I think we have to keep it like that because of deployed content. So I guess this means that in RDF/XML you'd have to use the non-datatyped string syntax if you want a language tag to apply to the string. Admittedly, that's a bit awkward and will cause some user confusion, but perhaps no worse than what we already have (just different).