Re: language entailment

From: Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 14:54:32 +0200
To: "nathan@webr3.org" <nathan@webr3.org>
CC: RDF Working Group WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
Nathan,

I already mentionned this could be a tricky can of worm. I think I just
saw the fist worms crawling out, as this entailment does not seem to
interact very well with other existing entailments.

Assume we have

  :a :p "chat"@en-GB . # (1)

that entails

  :a :p "chat"@en . # (2)

Worm 1: Consider combining it with OWL entailment, and that you also have

  :p a owl:FunctionalProperty . # (3)

So (1,3) entails (1,2,3). As "chat"@en-GB and "chat"@en are two distinct
things, this is inconsistent as it violates the functionality of :p.

Worm 2: if we accept my proposal of making language tags a special kind
of datatype, one could write

  :p rdfs:range rdflang:en-GB . # (4)

Here, (1,4) would entail (1,2,4), which in turn would entail

  "chat"@en a rdflang:en-GB . # (5)

and more generaly would make rdflang:en a subtype of rdflang:en-GB
(while the opposite seemed more intuitive). Furthermore, "chat"@en has
no lexical form in rdflang:en-GB, so that looks plain wrong... :-/

    pa