Re: Proposal for ISSUE-12, string literals

Hi Andy,

On 12 May 2011, at 22:32, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> §7 Add to the end:
>> “In application contexts, comparing the values of literals (see section 6.5.1) is usually more helpful than comparing their syntactic forms. Literals with different lexical forms and with different datatypes can have the same value. In particular:
>>
>> - A plain literal with lexical form aaa and no language tag has the same value as a typed literal with lexical form aaa and datatype IRI xsd:string
>> - A plain literal with lexical form aaa and no language tag has the same value as a typed literal with lexical form aaa@ and datatype IRI rdf:PlainLiteral
>> - A plain literal with lexical form aaa and language tag xx has the same value as a typed literal with lexical form aaa@xx and datatype IRI rdf:PlainLiteral”
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-plain-literal/#Syntax_for_rdf:PlainLiteral_Literals
>
> does say that rdf:PlainLiteral will not occur "in syntaxes for RDF graphs" so when parsed in, ^^rdf:PlainLiteral does not occur. Talking about it in the section "6. Abstract *Syntax*" section is odd.

I read that as referring to *concrete* syntaxes, not the abstract syntax. I might be wrong.

I'd like to add a paragraph somewhere that says, approximately: “A datatype rdf:PlainLiteral has been defined in [THAT SPEC]. It's for compatibility with systems that require everything to have a datatype, or don't have anywhere to put a language tag, and hence couldn't represent RDF graphs otherwise. An implementation that supports real plain literals MUST use them and MUST NOT use rdf:PlainLiteral.”

Would that address your concern about mentioning equalities for rdf:PlainLiteral?

Or do you think it would be better not to mention rdf:PlainLiteral at all in RDF Concepts?

Best,
Richard