Re: Proposal for ISSUE-12, string literals

On 2011-05-13, at 14:09, Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
> Subject: Re: Proposal for ISSUE-12, string literals
> Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 07:07:36 -0500
>
> [...]
>
>> Hesitant -1 to, there are numbers that xsd:double for e.g. can
>> represent, that xsd:decimal doesn't promise to.
>
> Huh?
>
> Did someone change the laws of arithmetic while I wasn't looking?

I hope not.

Inf, -Inf, and NaN are all not representable by xsd:decimal. Also, implementations are only required to support up to 18 decimal digits.

[ There are also IEEE-754 values that xsd:double can't represent, but it only matters in really crazy situations, so lets not go there. ]

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK