Re: ISSUE-12: xs:string VS plain literals: proposed resolution

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 07:44:04 -0400
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Cc: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 09:33 +0100, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> I wonder if most people would be happen if we emphasised that it's
> the
> value that matters.  xsd:string and simple literal have the same
> value,
> as do 00123 and +123.

I guess it depends what you mean by 'emphasise'...

I was shocked to discover SPARQL cared about the difference, and thought
it was a grave mistake at the time (but I didn't notice until it was too
late).  I had assumed everyone already knew you should just care about
the value, and that every API should convert for you, hiding the
difference.  But I was wrong, and I don't really know how to get people
to use the "Semantic Web" technologies at a "semantic" level.

    -- Sandro