Re: [TTL] Differences between SPARQL and Turtle.

On 3 May 2011, at 07:42, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 03/05/11 00:07, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>> Unicode escapes can be a helpful fallback when some piece of the
>> toolchain messes up the encoding; in such situations, they can be the
>> only way to make things interoperate.
>
> Could you give examples of this?  Messing up the encoding that I see happens silently, due to system defaults.  \u-escape does not have an impact on that (unfortunately).

Simple example: editing a Turtle file in a text editor that doesn't understand that Turtle files are UTF-8. Entering non-US-ASCII characters (say, umlauts) in the editor will result in wrongly (say, ISO-8859-1) encoded files. Entering the umlauts as \u escapes is not pretty but solves the immediate problem.

Best,
Richard