Re: ISSUE-18: How do we parse "18." in Turtle?

On 30/03/11 18:46, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> Andy said this is out of scope for SPARQL to fix, but I'm wondering if
> it isn't just an erratum, and thus in scope.   How many folks write
> SPARQL decimal numbers without trailing digits, relying on this
> behavior, before the "}"?

Hard to tell (without breaking the gramamr and seeing who yells).

As an erratum, it is a change to SPARQL 1.0 so I don't think it's so
simple to wave "erratum" at it.

Personally, I'd be happy with the change but I'd like to understand the
implications on users.

By the way, this is not the only place that "longest token" is important:

{ :x :p18. }

is that ":p1 8."  or ":p 18" or ":p18" and an error?  That has not been
a practical issue raised.

Or  ?x<a&&b>?y

or ns:123 (legal SPARQL BTW because of comments on a WD.  Some domains
e.g. lifesciences, naturally have all numeric local parts to URIs.)

The ns:123 is an issue for Turtle.

Issue suggested on the tracker.

I think Eric has taken the SPARQL defn in the working document so it
going from illegal to legal.

Peter wrote:
 >> However, the problem is that when using the standard cheat

I think "cheat" is a bit judgemental :-) It is very common and based on
finite state automata to drive the tokenizer. Lexer speed is very
important and this is well understood and well know how to make fast.

In a prog lang:

intxyz=18 ;

and no one worries that there is a required space for "int xyz"