From: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
Date: 26 March 2011 06:25
Subject: [woes] JSON Web Token (JWT) and JSON Web Signature (JWS) now in
separate specs
To: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>, "woes@ietf.org" <woes@ietf.org>, "
openid-specs-ab@lists.openid.net" <openid-specs-ab@lists.openid.net>
Cc: "openid-specs@lists.openid.net" <openid-specs@lists.openid.net>

 As promised, I have split the contents of the JWT spec
draft-jones-json-web-token-01<http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-jones-json-web-token-01.html>into
two simpler specs:

draft-jones-json-web-token-02<http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-jones-json-web-token-02.html>

draft-jones-json-web-signature-00<http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-jones-json-web-signature-00.html>

These should have introduced no semantic changes from the previous spec.

I then applied the feedback that I received since JWT -01 and created
revised versions of the split specs:

draft-jones-json-web-token-03<http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-jones-json-web-token-03.html>

draft-jones-json-web-signature-01<http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-jones-json-web-signature-01.html>

The only breaking change introduced was that x5t (X.509 Certificate
Thumbprint) is now a SHA-1 hash of the DER-encoded certificate, rather than
a SHA-256 has, as SHA-1 is the prevailing existing practice for certificate
thumbprint calculations.  See the Document History sections for details on
each change made.

.txt and .xml versions are also available.  I plan to publish these as IETF
drafts once the submission window re-opens on Monday.  Feedback welcome!

                                                            -- Mike

P.S.  Yes, work on the companion encryption spec is now under way…