Re: What *is* RDF?

[I've pulled out the initial part of this message and edited out
extraneous bits because I think that this one exchange deserves to stand
on its own.]

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Subject: Re: What *is* RDF?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 08:45:39 -0500

> On 03/24/2011 10:27 PM, Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider wrote:

[...]

>> Well, if I can't understand something after a concerted effort to try, I
>> probably would vote against it, unless someone convinces me otherwise.
>> Take this whatever way you want.

[...]

> A few days is not a 'concerted effort'. If you can't understand most of
> it after a month of us attempting to explain it to you, that's a problem.

Nope, a few days should be adequate to fully understand JSON for just
about anyone with a decent CS background.  In fact, a few minutes should
suffice for just about anyone who has any reasonable grounding in
object-oriented formalisms.  (I dare to say that this is a very large
part of the reason that JSON is so popular.)

It took me about one minute to understand most of Richard's recent
message, and only about another minute or two to notice the questionable
and missing bits, although I probably should have also added in
something about just what a number was.  I expect that it took Richard
on the order of ten minutes to put the message together - spending
longer on the generation side should result in even quicker
comprehension.

This is the level of effort that *should* be required for someone in the
WG to completely understand something as simple as JSON purports to be.
Perhaps the level of effort would be doubled if all the best practices
(no colons, etc.) that WG needs to consider were included.

[...]

> -- manu

peter