Re: [Graphs] g-text equivalence

On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 20:29 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2011, at 7:16 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> >> Can't we simply *define* g-texts to be equivalent under such trivial variations? It is our notion, after all.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what you mean.  I think it's important the g-text be
> > a subclass of character or byte strings, so *equality* is string
> > equality.
>
> Well, that kills my suggestion right there. So let me push back on this point. Why do you think this is important? Why should a g-text not have its own g-style notion of equality? Why should it be a subclass of byte strings?

Strings are very real to me (as for most programmers, I suspect), and
having g-texts be strings is very comforting.  I could probably get used
to some other abstraction (as I have with RDF graphs), but there would
still be strings being transmitted down the wire, which I would
sometimes need to pay attention to, so I'd still need a notion of
strings-representing-graphs in addition to whatever might serve this
equivalence/equality purpose.  I suppose we could give that abstraction
a name and see if it's useful -- maybe a g-coding?  But I can't actually
see how I would use that, and where it would sit between graphs and
strings.

(Okay, of course strings don't really exist, and I'm using a wireless
connection, but I think that just proves my point, that strings are an
abstraction I'm terribly familiar with.  They feel real, and introducing
a different-but-similar abstraction would confuse me.   It feels a bit
like you're proposing we defines something like "Cat" (in the normal
sense of the word, a domestic feline), but such that all cats born on
the same day are the same cat.    That's too weird for my brain.)

> >  For equivalence, yes, it seems like there's a simple and
> > obvious meaning of equivalence, but I don't know how to formalize it,
>
> You did later in the message :-)

Indeed.  :-)    Why is it this group does most of its interesting email
during non-work hours, even when you account for the time zones of the
members?   (this is sequitur because during work hours I would have put
more time into re-writing the email.)

    -- Sandro