Re: [JSON] PROPOSAL: Syntax structure should be object-based

On 16 Mar 2011, at 01:11, Manu Sporny wrote:
> I know that Richard did a good job writing up
> an argument for a triple-based serialization, but even the write-up
> wasn't a glowing recommendation for that approach.

Fair enough.

> PROPOSAL: The RDF Working Group should design the RDF in JSON syntax
> structure to reflect the object-based data model that is in wide use in
> the Web developer community. The group recognizes that both the
> triple-based and iterative-reduction based approaches are useful and
> have a purpose to serve, but the time it would take to standardize two
> RDF in JSON syntaxes may impact the ability for the Working Group to
> meet its tight 1-year deadline.

I'd prefer not having to vote on this proposal yet, because there are certain clarifications and discussions that I'd like to see before making up my mind.

My concerns here are:

1. It appears to me that the goal of the RDF-in-JSON approach as championed by Manu is not to serialize an RDF graph in a JSON syntax, but to standardize a system of JSON conventions that allow parsing of the output of existing JSON APIs (perhaps with small modifications) as RDF.

2. If I am mistaken in thinking so, then I observe that a lot of Manu's arguments in favour of the object-based approach fall apart, especially those regarding “picking up the developers where they are right now.”

3. If my observation regarding the goal of this RDF-in-JSON approach is correct, then I think we need discussion about charter scope and WG composition, as the goal appears somewhat broader than what the WG was chartered for.

Best,
Richard