Re: [Graphs] Proposal: RDF Datasets

On 8 Mar 2011, at 14:47, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
> But what I am proposing is to define the most general and most permissive semantics so that any implementation would be /in fact/ an instantiation of it.

I suppose this would manifest as changes to the RDF Semantics document that define the interpretation of an RDF Dataset?

You've already done work towards such a semantics. Do you have a pointer to something that comes close to this “most permissive semantics” you'd like to see adopted?

> It's my understanding that Richard would be glad to leave the definition of a formal semantics of datasets out of this WG, but he provided one because he knows very well that some people---like me---would like to see it defined (correct me if I'm wrong).

That's right. The formal semantics needs to be discussed, so I added a placeholder.

I am concerned (as always) about a lack of deployment experience. Standardizing a formal semantics for multi-graph datasets is risky. I'd be afraid that we might regret the outcome a few years down the road. Fixing it later on would be very expensive.

I note that RDF Datasets can address many use cases even if treated merely as a data structure without a model-theoretic semantics beyond that of individual graphs as already defined in RDF Semantics. The actual dataset semantics can often be supplied in RDF statements made about the graphs, using vocabularies that would be standardized (by W3C or the community) separately for specific use cases.

Best,
Richard

> [...]
>>>
>>> Besides, in a semantic web search engine which index all RDF data on the web (like Sindice, SWSE) this is not acceptable. Neither Sindice nor SWSE implement the semantics you propose, which is unfortunate since you advocate following deployed application practices and those are among high-profile applications from your own institute.
>>>
>>> What you define is a semantics which maximises the "permeability" of contexts, that is, every triples defined in any graphs influence equally the knowledge from any other graph within a dataset.
>>>
>>> On the contrary, we could argue in favour of a semantics that minimises the permeability of contexts, that is, a triple in a graph can only have an impact on the knowledge of that graph.
>>>
>>> This can be formalised as follows:
>>>
>>> "The interpretation of an RDF Dataset (G, (id1,G1), ..., (idn,Gn)) is a tuple (I, I1, ..., In) where I is an RDF-interpretation of G and for all 1<= i<= n, Ii is an RDF-interpretation of Gi."
>>>
>>> This way, you prevent the knowledge of a graph from perturbing the knowledge of other graphs, thereby complying very well with heterogeneous and unreliable information from all over the Web.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, this is not ideal because it is often desired that knowledge actually "flows" across contexts. There are several proposed formalisms that lie in between the two extremes defined above (viz., maximal and minimal permeability) but this is not the goal of this WG to choose or define one. However, it would be good if the semantics of datasets was as generic and permissive as possible, such that extensions of it can constrain it further (just like the semantics of RDF is itself very permissive but further constrained by RDFS, OWL, SWRL, etc). In this sense, the "minimal permeability" semantics is the most permissive. To constrain it, it suffices to add vocabularies that specify the way knowledge from graphs interact. For instance:
>>>
>>> :G1 ex:imports :G2 .
>>>
>>> could be a way to ensure that the interpretation of :G1 has to satisfy both :G1 and :G2. If all graphs import each others, then an interpretation of a dataset becomes equivalent to an RDF-interpretation of the union of its constituent graphs, which is exactly the "maximal permeability" semantics that you defined.
>>>
>>> The reasoning formalisms used by Sindice or SWSE (and certainly other triple stores with reasoning capabilities) would fit well with this approach. Annotated RDF(S) would also work as a semantic extension of this generic approach (with appropriate vocabularies).
>>>
>>> I'll put this proposal somewhere on the wiki with more technical details.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> AZ.

>>> --
>>> Antoine Zimmermann
>>> Researcher at:
>>> Laboratoire d'InfoRmatique en Image et Systèmes d'information
>>> 69621 Villeurbanne Cedex
>>> France
>>> Lecturer at:
>>> Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon
>>> 20 Avenue Albert Einstein
>>> 69621 Villeurbanne Cedex
>>> France
>>> antoine.zimmermann@insa-lyon.fr