Re: [Graphs] Proposal: RDF Datasets

On 08/03/11 14:17, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
> Richard,
>

> Good starting point.
>
> I am in favour of using the notion of dataset from SPARQL but I have a
> problem with the semantics. You say:
>
> "The interpretation of an RDF Dataset is that of the union of its
> constituent graphs."

This is not part of the definition in SPARQL.  It is one way in which
it's used but it's not the only way and the SPARQL definition does not
prescribe that.

An application may choose to use an RDF dataset in that way, either via
its choice of SPARQL implementation or some via controls in the SPARQL
implementation.

Another common choice I see (Jena) is to have base data and the same
data seen through inference.

> One of the strong reasons to keep information about provenance is to
> avoid spreading inconsistencies everywhere. Separating statements in
> distinct boxes should avoid knowledge from disjoint contexts to intertwine.

+1