Re: [Turtle] Two formats

On 3 Mar 2011, at 11:22, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
> We use TriG all the time for configuring systems, some of which is often done by hand. As such, N-triples + named graphs would notbe sufficient; we require a human-friendly quads serialization, such as TriG.

I'd like to hear more about real-world use of TriG.

Here's what I'm aware of:

1. As examples for NG4J/WIQA (this is what we created TriG for)
2. As a language for expressing spreadsheet-to-RDF mappings in XLWrap
3. As a syntax for configuration files (?) in your system.
4. As a “graph store persistence” format in the Semantic Web Client Library and derived systems

None of these require exchange between different systems. They're all about local storage or configuration. If the use cases for human-written TriG boil down to configuration files, then I'm unconvinced that this WG should put a format on REC track for that.

N-Quads on the other hand is used quite often to exchange dumps between different parties (DBpedia publishes N-Quads; the Billion Triples dataset is available as N-Quads; Sindice can process N-Quad dumps).

So I see a clear case for standardizing a multi-graph dump format, but not such a clear case for standardizing a multi-graph “small-scale” format a la SuperTurtle or TriG.

Best,
Richard