[TURTLE] Extending Turtle before Rec

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 16:58 +0000, Yves Raimond wrote:
> I would love that.
>
> +1

> On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 04:41:23PM +0000, Nathan wrote:
> > actually ^ may be better.. such that
> >
> >  :a :b :c .
> >
> > could be written as:
> >
> >  :c ^:b :a .
> >
> > meaning
> >
> >  :c [ owl:inverseOf :b ] :a .
> >
> > meaning:
> >
> >  :a :b :c .

Just to clarify, I believe the proposal is to have ^ or ! be purely
syntactic sugar for reversing the order of the triple, unlike
owl:inverseOf, which requires OWL inference to have this meaning.  So
your example with owl:inverseOf was just to give some clues about what ^
or ! would mean, not to be understood strictly.

I think there's a parent-issue here, which we should perhaps raise and
even decide first, of whether we're going to be extending turtle now,
making a superset which will not work in existing turtle parsers.
Alternatively, we could nail down the Turtle that is already widely
deployed.  I guess the issue might be called "Extend Turtle Before
Rec?".

I'm torn on this issue.  On the one hand, there's a big deployed base,
to which we have a responsibility.  On the other hand, there a lot more
that can be done to make Turtle useful.   For myself, I lean towards
saying "no", considering Turtle more or less done, and letting
extensions happen in other languages.

If we say "no", then our work is much simpler; we're basically operating
inside the space of existing good faith implementations.

     -- Sandro