comments on RDF-Datasets-Proposal

From: Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:19:21 +0200
To: "public-rdf-wg@w3.org" <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
Hi all,

after today's telecon, I read the proposal at [1].

First, it seems to be a "light" version of the Named Graph paper that
Pat mentionned. "Light", because it specifies that

"The interpretation of the IRI [paired to graphs], in the RDF Semantics
sense, is left unspecified."

It is all very well, but what happens when one wants to use those IRIs
*in* the named graphs? As proposed in the 'Semantic Extension' section
of [1]?

Stating

  :G1 graph:imports :G2

does make some assumption about the meaning of :G1 and :G2 in the RDF
Semantics! More generally, if we want to make graphs first class
citizens of RDF, we need a mean to talk about them, hence we need IRIs
whose interpretation in RDF Semantics is that graph.

  pa

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/TF-Graphs/RDF-Datasets-Proposal