Re: Tag-less literals and literals with empty tags

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 08:47:29 +0100
Cc: public-rdf-wg@w3.org, "Ivan Herman , Coralie Mercier , Guus Schreiber" <ivan@w3.org>
To: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Hi Antoine,

On 18 Jul 2011, at 21:21, Antoine Isaac wrote:
>> Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>> without a language tag it is a string, with a language tag it is a pair of
>> strings. The set of plain literals without language tags is *not* the
>> set of pairs (string , "").
>
> (which I think matches what is written in the RDF Concepts and Abstract Syntax)

Alan is right. "foo" does *not* have a language tag. And RDF Concepts is the normative reference here.

Other specifications and implementations may explicitly treat an empty string as absence of a language tag, but that doesn't change anything.

Note that in the editor's draft for the upcoming RDF 1.1 Concepts [1] (Section 6.5), this is a lot clearer because all literals now are either "typed" or "language-tagged".

[1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-concepts/index.html