Re: Proposing new terms for g-snap and g-text

On Jul 12, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> Sandro defined g-text as:
>
> [[
> A "g-text" is a particular sequence of characters or bytes which
> conveys a particular g-snap in some language (eg turtle or rdf/xml).
> ]]
> which works for RDFa etc reading it as not ruling other bytes about something else as well.
>
> Anything where there is one graph so not TriG.
>
> In fact, if we don't have something for g-text, I think it might default to "[RDF] document". "serialization" is OK but it is bulky.
>
> “Representation of a resource [in RDF syntax XYZ]” feels like it begs the question again even if technically correct.  I have also seen "a graph represents ..." using representation at a different level.

Oh yes, graphs certainly represent. Not AWWW-represent, of course. I think 'serialization' or 'document' is better for the g-text idea.

A question for Sandro: if I prod a g-box and it sends me a g-text, and then I store that g-text in a file, have I now created  a(nother) g-box? What if I put the file into a Web server and give it a URI? More generally, what does it take to transform a mere g-text into a fully fledged g-box?

Pat