Re: Graphs and Being and Time

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:59:23 +0000
To: David Wood <david.wood@talis.com>
CC: RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
David Wood wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2011, at 13:12, Pat Hayes wrote:
>
>> It is much simpler: it is just wanting the WG to acknowledge that "an RDF graph" can either be a mathematical set, or it can be some kind of document or data structure or file than can be transmitted over a computer network. But it can't be both.
>
> What is the difference between an "RDF graph" and a RESTful "resource"?  What is the difference between an "RDF graph token" and a RESTful "representation"?

REST maps a resource to a set of values over time, each single value has
a 1:N relationship with representations, "RDF Graph" (the mathematical
set, platonic abstraction, g-snap) equates to a single value, and "RDF
Graph Token" equates to a representation of that single value.

In other mails, Sandro's, g-box equates to a RESTful resource, something
which maps to different values (g-snaps) over time, where g-snap is a
snapshot of the state of the g-box.

RDF doesn't currently cater for anything like a g-box, and both a value
and a representation of that value are given the same name "RDF Graph",
which I believe was Pats original point.

Hopefully Pat will confirm if that understanding is correct.

Best,

Nathan